R.C.I.A Those who prepare to be received into the Catholic Church through R.C.I.A. come from many walks of life and their ages range from “teens” to “seniors”. Meetings for prospective candidates take place in the church from September until Easter. When candidates are ready to make a commitment to the Catholic Faith they are received […]
To the web site for Saint Mary’s Parish, Abercromby Street, Glasgow, often known as Saint Mary’s, Calton.
On August 15th 2009, the church was created Pro-Cathedral of the Archdiocese of Glasgow during a Mass celebrated by Archbishop Mario Conti and served as pro-Cathedral until 10th April 2011 when St Andrew’s was reopened.
Saint Mary’s is a Parish of the Archdiocese of Glasgow, a Metropolitan See in the West of Scotland in full Communion with the Holy See.
4.30 pm in St Alphonsus’
Note: The 6.00pm mass is NO longer available in St Mary’s.
10:00 am in St Mary’s and 12 noon in St Alphonsus’
Tuesday to Friday 12 noon in St Mary’s
Holy Days of Obligation: announced for each Feast.
We record Sunday Mass each weekend and this is available on our YouTube Channel, Masses from the Calton.
Feast of Sts Peter and Paul:
Mass: 12.00 noon in St Marys and 5.30 pm in St Alphonsus.
The church is open every day for private prayer from 8.00 am to 6 pm
These are the normal opening times ,Mass and service times for the parish, if you are visiting from some distance away, please check the time by telephone.
Sacrament of Reconciliation
NOW BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
After 9.00 am Mass Tuesday and Friday in St Mary’s or
Saturday 3.30 – 4.00 pm and Monday 11:15 – 12:15pm in St Alphonsus’ Church London Road
Confessions will be heard at any time by appointment or on reasonable request
Pope Francis’ Prayer to Mary during the coronavirus pandemic
you always shine on our path
as a sign of salvation and of hope.
We entrust ourselves to you, Health of the Sick,
who at the cross took part in Jesus’ pain, keeping your faith firm.
You, Salvation of the Roman People,
know what we need,
and we are sure you will provide
so that, as in Cana of Galilee,
we may return to joy and to feasting
after this time of trial.
Help us, Mother of Divine Love,
to conform to the will of the Father
and to do as we are told by Jesus,
who has taken upon himself our sufferings
and carried our sorrows
to lead us, through the cross,
to the joy of the resurrection. Amen.
Under your protection, we seek refuge, Holy Mother of God. Do not disdain the entreaties of we who are in trial, but deliver us from every danger, O glorious and blessed Virgin.
The parish has a long and interesting history some of which can be found by clicking here.
The parish has had a long association with Glasgow Celtic Football Club.
In 1919 all Catholic Schools entered the national system of education which replaced the School Boards. The Education Department now provided food, clothing and books. In 1919 there were 2554 pupils on the school roll. In 1922 the Qualifying Examination was replaced by the Control Examination. Pupils who passed could go on to a five […]
The school roll continued to rise. In 1907 Standard Three had 69 pupils and Standard Five had 79. The result was overcrowding and a new school was needed. Makeshift accommodation for the whole school was found in a hall in Henrietta Street while the old school was demolished. The new school opened in 1913. It […]
Back row – Miss Sheridan Mr Colgan Miss Kelly Miss Convery Mr Quigly Miss Coyle Front row – Miss Hoey Mr O’Hagan Brother Casimir Brother Jerome Miss Kea Two women teachers joined the staff in 1900 for a short period. In 1900 the Scottish Education Department introduced new training for those aspiring to join the […]
In 1890 the school had 700 boys on the roll. Enlargements and subdivisions of the classrooms had to be made. Standard Six had 60 boys in a classroom. New subjects were introduced – practical geometry, art, poetry, oral composition and physical training. Evening classes continued with a roll of over a hundred.
The Vincent de Paul Society provided a Christmas dinner for 200-300 boys and girls. By 1885 the head master made plans for a ‘Penny Dinner’ scheme. Those who could afford it paid the penny. Temporary premises near the school were hired as a cooking depot. Brother Walfrid founded Celtic Football Club to raise money for […]
The 1872 Education Act made schooling compulsory so pupils were encouraged to have perfect attendance. Rewards such as a couple of oranges or a handful of sweets were given out before Christmas and summer holidays Poverty was often the reason for absence from school. Lack of clothes, shoes and food was common. The head master […]
In the nineteenth century under the ‘payment by results’ system, inspectors exercised considerable power. Their report could result in giving or withholding money for the school. The1872 the Education Act gave the state control of schools which until then had been in the hands of the churches. The government merely aided existing schools without taking […]
Timetable The school children’s day began at 10.00am and ended at 3.15pm with half an hour break at lunch time. Class time began with prayers, singing and religious instruction followed by four periods of reading, writing, arithmetic and dictation. All classes had to be presented for examination by the government inspector. Four shillings a year […]
In 1858 the Marist Brothers came to Glasgow at the invitation of Bishop Murdoch. In 1863 they took charge of St Mary’s Boys’ School. In 1865 there were 300 boys taught by two Marist Brothers and five pupil teachers. Brother John, Brother Austin and Brother James were head teachers from 1865 to 1869. By 1870 […]
St Mary’s School for boys, girls and infants was built in 1850 behind St Mary’s Church. The building was one large room with a gallery at one end for the infants. The pupils were the children of mainly Irish cotton weavers and manual labourers employed on roads, canals and coal pits. Women and children found […]
Pottery and brickwork Calton has had an industrial character for many years – pottery was a major local trade, indeed Saint Mary’s is built on a clayfield and there were several brickworks in operation as the church was built. The locals were somewhat dismissive of the building commenting that it was certainly not built on […]
Fund-raising Initiatives The parishioners are currently engaged in a series of fund-raising ventures to pay for these essential works. Financial Help The parish thanks Historic Scotland and the Heritage Lottery Fund for the contributions they have made to the costs of these works. Without their support this could not have happened. We would still be […]
Saint Andrew’s Cathedral Saint Andrew’s Cathedral, built in 1814-16 through the initiative of Father (later Bishop) Andrew Scott was the at the time of its opening the largest Catholic Church in Britain. it was opened for the sake of the rising number of Catholic immigrants in the city of Glasgow. Over the years the Cathedral […]
The Sacristy The sacristy area of our church was renovated thanks to Historic Scotland, Glasgow City Council, Scottish Churches Architectural Heritage Trust, the Archdiocese of Glasgow and the people of Saint Mary’s. There are several vestments dating from early last century, banners which were once used in outdoor processions and a Latin Office book from […]
Typhus and Cholera There were Typhus epidemics (“Irish Fever”) in Glasgow in 1832, 1837, 1847 and 1851-52. Cholera epidemics took hold in 1832, 1848-49, and 1853-54 and a Relapsing Fever epidemic was recorded in 1843. Causes of Fever Epidemics Overcrowding into tiny flats without sanitation was trouble waiting to flare up. The River Clyde was […]
The stained glass in the church is also needs conservation. The glass from the Sacred Heart and Lady Chapels underwent renovation in mid 2004. Mayer of Munich The stained glass was created by the world famous Mayer of Munich – this firm is also noted for having created the dramatic stained glass window at the […]
he Sanctuary The rest of the sanctuary too has undergone change on a number of occasions. Canon Carmichael reconstructed the altar, altar steps and platform. A large opening was made in the roof to allow light to enter the sanctuary. Lectern Canon Dyer who became parish priest in 1896 also made changes to the sanctuary […]
The Sanctuary has also undergone renovation. Originally the wall behind the altar consisted of four large fluted Doric columns and these were taken down in the 1870’s and replaced with the much lighter design which can be seen today. Paintings The painting of the Assumption, which so dominates the church is an addition from the […]
Interior renovations In 1926-27 significant renovation and redecoration of the Church took place. Over £1500 (£54,742 by current standards) was spent on this work for which the Main Contractors were S&J Scott of West George Street. The whole of the inside was repainted except for the large panel behind the altar and those at the […]
In 1914 the new school building was completed on the site of the old school building and in 1919 was valued for the sake of the transfer to local authority control. The building was valued at £23,399 (in 2002 this was the equivalent of £665,627). The transaction for the sale of the properties did not […]
Architecture The Architects of Saint Mary’s church were reported in the centenary brochure of the parish as having been a famous London firm, Goldie and Childe, the same firm who were later responsible for Saint Mungo’s in Townhead. There is only one problem with that: Mr Childe of Goldie and Childe was born in 1943 […]
Beginnings It was in 1887 that one of the more famed moments came in the history of Saint Mary’s when Brother Walfrid and a group of men of the parish founded a charity to assist with the care of the poor. The aim of the charity was, while raising funds, to provide also a social […]
Origins In 1846, Fr Peter Forbes, the first Parish priest of St. Mary’s, visited the convent in Tourcoing. While there he appealed for some of the Sisters to come to Scotland where there was great need. His request was accepted by Sr. M. Adelaide Vaast, who was then the Sub-Prioress and Mistress of Novices. She […]
New Churches By 1792 there was a sufficient Catholic population in the city for the parish of Saint Andrew’s to be founded. It was only in 1816 that the church which was later to become the Cathedral in Clyde Street, was opened. In the first half of the nineteenth century parishes were founded at an […]
From Town to City It is difficult for those who are used to Glasgow being a large metropolitan city to realise just how recent the development of the city has been. In 1770 Glasgow was but a small merchant town, fifty years later it was almost unrecognisable as a large industrial city. Population In 1750 […]
The fact that Calton was very much on the outside of the city is emphasised by the fact that Bishop Scott purchased several acres between Gallowgate and East Rose Street and Henrietta and Abercromby Street. There are still some remnants of this graveyard today. A large headstone is to be found in the vacant land […]
History The modern history of Calton predates Saint Mary’s Church by about 150 years. Originally the area now called Calton was known as Blackfauld and from 1705 it was developed as a place for weavers to live. A certain John Walkinshaw (1671-1731) who was a Jacobite sympathiser, owned the land and the development of the […]