40 Hours Adoration at St Mary’s
By 1963 the school roll had fallen to 350 – around the same number as when the Marist Brothers took over a hundred years previously.
500 boys and girls were evacuated to Aberdeenshire for safety shortly after the outbreak of war. However when air raid shelters were built the pupils drifted back to Glasgow and went to school carrying a gas mask.
In 1919 all Catholic Schools entered the national system of education which replaced the School Boards. The Education Department now provided food, clothing and books. In 1919 there were 2554 pupils on the school roll. In 1922 the Qualifying Examination was replaced by the Control Examination. Pupils who passed could go on to a five […]
When war broke out more women teachers joined the staff. Brother Thomas resigned in 1916 and Brother Anselm took over. The school was closed for three weeks during the Spanish Flu’ epidemic in 1918.
The school roll continued to rise. In 1907 Standard Three had 69 pupils and Standard Five had 79. The result was overcrowding and a new school was needed. Makeshift accommodation for the whole school was found in a hall in Henrietta Street while the old school was demolished. The new school opened in 1913. It […]
Back row – Miss Sheridan Mr Colgan Miss Kelly Miss Convery Mr Quigly Miss Coyle Front row – Miss Hoey Mr O’Hagan Brother Casimir Brother Jerome Miss Kea Two women teachers joined the staff in 1900 for a short period. In 1900 the Scottish Education Department introduced new training for those aspiring to join the […]
In 1890 the school had 700 boys on the roll. Enlargements and subdivisions of the classrooms had to be made. Standard Six had 60 boys in a classroom. New subjects were introduced – practical geometry, art, poetry, oral composition and physical training. Evening classes continued with a roll of over a hundred.
The Vincent de Paul Society provided a Christmas dinner for 200-300 boys and girls. By 1885 the head master made plans for a ‘Penny Dinner’ scheme. Those who could afford it paid the penny. Temporary premises near the school were hired as a cooking depot. Brother Walfrid founded Celtic Football Club to raise money for […]