In the nineteenth century under the ‘payment by results’ system, inspectors exercised considerable power. Their report could result in giving or withholding money for the school.
The1872 the Education Act gave the state control of schools which until then had been in the hands of the churches. The government merely aided existing schools without taking steps to provide new ones. The new Act set up School Boards which had the power to provide new schools, levy rates for building and maintaining them and oblige all children between the ages of five and thirteen to attend school. Religious education was left to the discretion of the new School Boards.
In 1872 a project to enlarge the school was begun. The new premises would have separate classrooms and a staff room.
By 1890 the staff increased to twelve. A school library was opened in 1886 boasting of 120 books.