The rest of the sanctuary too has undergone change on a number of occasions. Canon Carmichael reconstructed the altar, altar steps and platform. A large opening was made in the roof to allow light to enter the sanctuary.
Canon Dyer who became parish priest in 1896 also made changes to the sanctuary – it was he who had the marble lectern created in place of the moveable one which had been used before.
Altar Rails and Pews
The altar rails which are seen today were added at this time. The benches in the church were replaced also, in a more modern style with a centre aisle as it is today.
Central heating was added by Canon Dyer and the windows, which had been wooden framed were now iron.
The 1926-27 redecoration took place some 80 years after the building of the church and now another 80 years later a similar task needs to be undertaken.
It is unlikely that the decoration work will be completed for the sum of £1500 – the cost of the 1926 exercise!