The sacristy area of our church was renovated thanks to Historic Scotland, Glasgow City Council, Scottish Churches Architectural Heritage Trust, the Archdiocese of Glasgow and the people of Saint Mary’s.
There are several vestments dating from early last century, banners which were once used in outdoor processions and a Latin Office book from 1620.
The church building continues to require renovation especially the outside walls. Then the work of redecoration can be addressed.
Funding of New Roof
In September 2005 both Historic Scotland and the Lottery, through the Listed Places of Worship Scheme made an offer to Saint Mary’s to assist the costs of the work to re-roof the church.
This work began in the summer of 2006 and was completed just two days before Christmas. The costs associated with this are around £650,000.
This is significantly more than was budgeted for, but the ingress of water during the work caused a major collapse of the ceiling—the second such in the history of the church– and so it was that another £83,000 of costs was added to the work.
The roof and ceiling work is not really visible to anyone, but the building is once again wind and water-tight. The roofing has been insulated to help keep the church warm. A new blue ceiling is the only real sign of any work having taken place.