The fact that Calton was very much on the outside of the city is emphasised by the fact that Bishop Scott purchased several acres between Gallowgate and East Rose Street and Henrietta and Abercromby Street.
There are still some remnants of this graveyard today. A large headstone is to be found in the vacant land just to the north of the church marking the site of the graveyard. Most of the remains were removed from the cemetery at a later date to allow building.
The graveyard was still in use in 1841 when the work began on the building of the new church of Saint Mary’s which was completed in 1842.