By 1792 there was a sufficient Catholic population in the city for the parish of Saint Andrew’s to be founded. It was only in 1816 that the church which was later to become the Cathedral in Clyde Street, was opened.
In the first half of the nineteenth century parishes were founded at an amazing rate. It gives an idea both of the increasing number of Catholics and the increasing number of priests who serve them.
After St. Andrew’s on Clyde Street 1792 came St Mirin, Paisley 1808 (to become a Cathedral in 1948).
St Mary’s, Greenock 1808
Saint Patrick’s, Dumbarton 1830
St. Margaret, Airdrie 1836
Saint Mary’s, Duntocher and Saint Fillan Houston both 1841; Saint John the Evangelist, Barrhead 1841
Saint Mary’s, Abercromby Street 1842
Saint Mary’s Hamilton 1843
St Patrick, Coatbridge 1845
St Alphonsus, Saint John the Evangelist, Portugal Street and also St. John the Baptist, Port Glasgow all 1846
St Athanasius Carluke, 1849
St. Joseph, North Woodside Road 1850
The pattern was to continue through into the twentieth century.