The Vincent de Paul Society provided a Christmas dinner for 200-300 boys and girls.
By 1885 the head master made plans for a ‘Penny Dinner’ scheme. Those who could afford it paid the penny. Temporary premises near the school were hired as a cooking depot. Brother Walfrid founded Celtic Football Club to raise money for the ‘Penny Dinners’.
In 1892 Brother Walfrid was moved to London and the contributions stopped. However Canon Dwyer generously supported the school by supplying clothes, books and gifts