The Sanctuary has also undergone renovation. Originally the wall behind the altar consisted of four large fluted Doric columns and these were taken down in the 1870’s and replaced with the much lighter design which can be seen today.
The painting of the Assumption, which so dominates the church is an addition from the 1950’s. Prior to this there was a triptych with, from left to right, the Presentation in the Temple, the Crucifixion and the Assumption.
These huge oil paintings by an unnamed French artist were damaged by fire necessitating the new paintings which were commissioned by the famous architect Jack Coia, and painted by an artist by the name of Frank Duffy. Frank lived in Biggar and died at Mass on the Sunday after he finished the work in Saint Mary’s.
The gold lettering around the sanctuary was the work of a young woman by the name of Avril Gibb, later to become Lady Watson-Stewart.
The style is that of Roman Trajan lettering-a style dictated to Avril by Coia. Lady Avril Watson-Stewart lives (2008) in Largs and worked closely with Jack Coia over a number of years.